So, I'm still liking it here a lot, but I'm getting a little sick of having people laugh at me or children saying "give me chocolate" or "give me money." It's hard, because I know I will never be able to blend in here. People are always staring at the "mzungu" (white person). I've just been trying to work on my swahili as much as possible so at least I'll know what people are saying about me when they laugh at me and maybe soon I'll be able to respond. For now, we joke that you can always respond with "labda kesho" if someone wants you to buy something, or if they ask for something. We've been told that we will be proposed to many times while we're here, so a few of us bought rings so we can just tell people we are married. Now, I just need to create a boyfriend...
I'm pretty impressed with how fast we are learning Kiswahili, though. We've only been here three weeks and I'm almost at the level we need to be at by the end of July. In a couple of weeks we'll find out where we'll be living for the two years, and I may start learning a new local language.
Things with my host family are going well. The little little girl has warmed up to me and now repeats my english. she says "yeah, yeah" or "okay" everytime I say it and she loves to run up and give hugs. The weather has been a lot cooler than I thought, although I still just wear my short sleeves and maybe a sweater. Most Kenyans, however wear heavy jackets. One of these days I'll take a picture of the toddler because she is usually wearing a hat, pants, and a sweater with a puffy jacket over it, just around the house. She reminds me of the kid in A Christmas Story, waddling around not really able to move her arms, haha.
Besides sticking out by being a white person, I think I'm adjusting pretty well to the culture here. The food is good, I eat lots of rice, cabbage, beans, and chapati (which is a flat bread similar to tortillas). There's also avocado so a lot of us are planning on making some mexican food. I've learned how to wash clothes by hand, my knuckles are still recovering. I've also gotten used to going to the bathroom in a choo (pronounced cho), which is a shack with a cement floor with a hole in the ground, and also taking "bucket baths."
For anyone who wants to call me (mom and dad take note) go to telephonekenya.com and you can get calling cards for 11cents a minute! email me if you want my phone number. I can text internationally too :)
Thanks to those of you who have written! I just got some stationary so I'll be sending some more letters.
Lizzie! Thanks for letting us know that you've updated on Facebook--it's a nice little message to get in the morning!
ReplyDeleteCan your "boyfriend" be named George Glass? Has the "Brady Bunch" permeated even Kenyan culture. Either way, it's best not to get too caught up in the charade, lest you repeat the mistakes of Jan Brady.
The toilet thing is horrifying to me, because I know how that would have turned out for me. But congratualations on being flexible, culturally sensitive, and intestinally sound.
Please continue to be a kick-ass lady.
Labda kesho? Thank you, Lizzie; your helpful Kiswahili lexicon is way ahead of mine! It's not the kids demanding "sweets" that bother me; it's the adults begging for school fees for their kids -- or for computers or for cars... We mzungus are, indeed, all rich by comparison, and I understand the need is great. But some days it is difficult to maintain perspective, mostly because I really wish I could help financially. The last time I was asked (by a padre, no less) for private boarding school fees, I sputtered, "Excuse me. I worked three jobs for thirty years just so my own kids could go to a decent public day school!" Sigh. It's a good thing the sun shines almost all the time in Kenya, hm? Glad you get lots of hugs every day, too!
ReplyDeleteHi Lizzie! My kids got a kick out of the elephant story! Stay safe! Love TommyToe
ReplyDeleteA tip for you: Ease up on the Omo -that's the harshest of the detergents and will chew up your hands!
ReplyDelete(and always hang your skivvies to dry in your bedroom, not out on the line!)
What village are you staying in for training?
wow maybe tommorow that could be the islands saying also every one seems to go by that credence here for sure
ReplyDeletewell im not sure about the food thing there or the toilet situation id dig my own hole for sure
and the shower bucket not sure i would put bucket in tree and taek shower put small hole in bottom it be fun to be like mcgiver there i would try and blow there minds with neat inventions i guess
but dont think ill ever go there no hd tv sounds like but its nice your trying to make difference
be care full dont let the elephants get you better then a deer tick least you can see them
god bless
keep the faith
send pics of beads and such if possible
or draw them if no cameras.........
dr. livingston i presume