I work with two women’s groups here in Oyugis (among others) that make bags/purses and beaded jewelry. Many of the women in the groups are widows so the beadwork/tailoring serve as economic empowerment. These groups also provide home-based care to people who are sick and/or living with HIV/AIDS in their rural communities.
Pendo Letu (means “our love” in Swahili) is the beading group. They make their beads out of recycled magazine pages from the US/UK by rolling the paper and then color coordinating with other beads in between to make necklaces, bracelets, and earrings. I’m putting some pictures up here so you can see. I also am going to teach the ladies some other beading techniques to improve and expand their designs. They are also exploring tailoring, making quilts, and making little cards.

SO HERE’S WHERE I ASK FOR ADVICE:
These two groups don’t have much of a market for these products. Most Kenyans don’t buy craft items and there aren’t a lot of tourists in this area. I spoke with my supervisor and we brainstormed some ideas but I’d like to see what you all think. On a more local level, I plan to sell to my other Peace Corps friends and any visitors who come to Kenya. I am also looking into finding a space to sell some of the items in more tourist-y areas in Kenya with the help of other volunteers.
But, my other idea is selling in the US. First, do you think people would buy these items? Or is the economy still too poor? Their prices here in Kenya are VERY affordable and we would have to raise them to include shipping and bank fees for money transfers etc. But right now without all that a necklace would about $3.25 and the messenger bag would be about $9.00. What would you be willing to pay for them?
I want to set up a website so maybe people could order from the US and then the groups could ship them. Does anyone know anything about making websites? Or selling things internationally on a website? There’s a lot to think about, like how much the banks would charge us to have the money someone in the US pays with their credit card to get into the groups’ bank accounts in Kenya. I don’t know what kind of laws/regulations there might be. I can research but if anyone knows anything I would love ideas. THANK YOU.
Hi,
ReplyDeleteThere is a site online called ETSY (http://www.etsy.com) where all they sell is homemade/crafty items made by individuals. I haven't really used it, but it may be easier to start with a premade website than making your own. On ETSY, you can search certain categories, etc. You might have a better chance of publicizing your groups that way and then going from there. Your prices are DEFINITELY reasonable and would be good for competing against others on the site.
MISS/LOVE,
Leah
Hi Lizzie!
ReplyDeleteI think you have a GREAT idea. The prices are absolutely marketable. You know what would be awesome is if someone sold them at the craft fair/farmer's markets at home. Don't know how the logistics would work, but I thought I'd just throw it out there. OR even if someone would sell them in their store say, Third World Trading in OB? Perhaps Beadworks? For handmade goods I'd say you could get anywhere between $15-40 for those items. One of the most important things is that they have a logo/tag that provides info regarding the org/group that the funds support and even a bio of the person who made it. The suggestions for price and tags are from my experience buying Aboriginal goods in AUS (my turquoise bag and some jewelery). I'll keep thinking and let you know what I come up with. Keep me posted if I can help on this end in any way!
Until Next Time - XOXOXO,
Amanda
Lizzie,
ReplyDeleteAs the reusable shopping bags become more and more of a trend, perhaps the ladies could make some shopping style bags for going to the grocery store and such. Make them with more comforable shoulder straps than the cheap one most people buy here. This would also be good for discouraging the use of plastic bags, you bag lady! (Haha! I know you recycle everything) Perhaps there is a way to link to Whole Foods or even Trader Joe's, even for a short period of time if there is an HIV or women's troubles awareness type of month. Encourage people in the stores to buy the Kenyan bags that month instead of the traditional ones. That's just my first idea, I'll get back to you with more thoughts. Good luck and let me know how I can help!
Love,
Katie
Oh.. and don't forget about Twitter. Lot's of organizations that sell fair-trade market their goods on there.
ReplyDelete