I was in
Then, the day before we left Loitokitok, my friend Mitch decided he wanted to slaughter a chicken. As much as I don’t like seeing animals dying, I went just to have the experience. I went with my friend Rachel and my 9 year-old sister, who had never seen a chicken slaughtered either. (Stop reading if you don’t want any graphic details). After chasing the chicken around the yard the maid caught the chicken and Mitch held it down and cut off its head. The maid helped pluck the feathers and everything. She popped out the eyes and my little sister grabbed the eyeball and crushed it with a rock and it exploded on Rachel and I. We had eyeball juice on our skirts; it was gross and funny at the same time.
On Wednesday my mama surprised me with a Maasai dress with gorgeous beadwork on it. She had wanted it to be a surprise so she hadn’t measured me. It was too small but she had the lady fix it, which I think required hours of extra work. It turned out great and I love it. Sunday we had a family appreciation lunch so I wore it then and a few other girls had dresses made too so we were all decked out. I'll try and put the picture of the dress at the bottom.
I was sad to say goodbye to my family, but was also excited to get to my site. Monday we took our 7 hour bus ride to
The day turned out much better because when we arrived in
Wednesday I met my counterpart who I’ll be working with in my organization. He has a son who was born in November and he named him Barack Obama. Love it. There is a bead group, they make beads with magazines so I’ll definitely be hanging out with those ladies. Friday we made our journey to our sites, with our ridiculous amounts of luggage (it was even more than we came with because Peace Corps had given us mosquito nets and about 15 more pounds of handbooks and informational books). I went with two other volunteers who were traveling to the same area and our counterparts. We left the hotel at
I got to my house on Friday and I live near my office, which is convenient. I’m about a 20 minute walk from the town center. I always thought Kenyans were nice, but yesterday blew me away. I went to the hardware store to buy some nails and a hammer to hang some stuff on my walls. The owner asked me what I was building and I told him I just wanted to hang some stuff on my walls. He asked, “so you are going to buy a hammer just to use it once?” I told him, “pretty much,” so he let me borrow the hammer and I returned it today. He could have made money off me, but instead just let me borrow the hammer. And, I’ve been really lucky because all the furniture the last volunteer had (even though she’s been gone for a year and a half) was still here. So, I already had a bed, mattress, mosquito net, couch/second bed, gas stove, plates, cups, utensils, etc. Awesome! I plan on just buying a chair/stool and maybe a little table.
I haven’t had the opportunity to print pictures yet. To those of you asking for my mailing address, I’m planning on setting up a PO Box this week so I’ll send it to you as soon as I can. Ok, well that’s about it for now.
it sounds so aweosme lizzie! I am glad you are having a good time. Sounds like a lot of fun...even the chicken beheading maybe lol I mailed you a letter a while ago, but i don't think it will ever make it to you. :(If I get it back someday I will mail it back to your new address :)
ReplyDeleteThat was me: Gretchen. Ben changed my name on my gmail account ahah
ReplyDeleteAs much as I love animals too, I would probably have done it as well for the experience.
ReplyDeleteIts awesome that you have furniture in your house. I've heard stoires from other peace corps people (maybe it was Meredith) who arrived at their house (in the middle of nowhere...no stores, etc) with no furniture and no abillity to get some.
I am also amazed by the hardware store man. Sometimes, my faith in humanity is restored hahaah
Miss you! and set up your PO box soon! I almost sent you a letter, but then realized it wouldn't make it to you in time at the right place. So I'm waiting until you get a more permanent address.
I also want to see the picture of the Maasai dress!
Oh my goodness, what a crazy fun adventure time for you! I'm glad you got to enjoy your last days with your host family, even if you did end up trying to eat chicken neck ;) I definitely want to see your fancy new dress.
ReplyDeleteAnd let me know when your PO box is set so I can start sending you things again. I leave for London on 11th August, so from now on you can reach me there by post.
Hmmm, what other crazy trashy gossip is there to pass on? Not much really. No good celebrity gossip to pass on :( Perhaps Caitlin will have discovered something exciting for you. She always knows these things.
I love reading about your adventures. Im so proud of you! Unfortunately, our PO box in Brooline no longer exists, but I'll check at the post office for my letter. 44 Vernon is the way to go these days. I miss you! Love you!
ReplyDelete-Katie
I can't wait to get your new mailing address. I'm PUMPED for it!
ReplyDelete