So, I was fine with the occasional spider, ants, flies (unavoidable in Kenya) hanging around my house. I accepted it and figured there wasn't a way to eradicate all of them and we could live in harmony. Mainly, I freaking love my mosquito net, it is a protective shield from flying and crawling bugs. It comforts me to know that even if there are things that want to crawl on me at night, they can't get to me. I'm seriously thinking about having one in the US when I get back. My friend Denae always likes to remind me that we eat tons of spiders in our sleep because they just crawl into our nice warm, moist mouths and we never know. Yeah, have fun sleeping tonight now.
Anyways, the point of the story is, I had this kind of mound thing on the corner of my walls that I thought was there to keep the walls together. I monitored it because I had a sneaky suspicion it was some sort of nest. But, ignorance is bliss so I tried not to think about it. Yesterday morning, it looked different to me, a little larger, so I look at it with my flashlight and there was a little hole in it and I saw lots of little bodies crawling around. I don't even want to think of how many were inside that mound, it was a mound the size of a basketball. I wanted to vomit a little but also at the same time hit it with a stick pinata-style. You all know how much I like pinatas. I decided not to because I imagined the mound hitting the ground and millions of little bugs exploding out of it and coming after me like those beetle things in the movie the Mummy. I don't even know what kind of bugs they are, we pass mounds like that but up to 6 feet tall in fields and people call them termite mounds. So, maybe they are termites, although I really don't have a lot of wood in my house so I dunno why they wanna hang out there. Although, my house has been uninhabited since the evacuation after post-election violence in 2008...
So, I went to the supermarket and bought Doom. I feared spraying them, thinking maybe their relatives would hear the mass murder and come find me in my sleep. I could sleep with the can of doom under my pillow for protection, but that's probably how you get cancer. In the end I sprayed almost the whole can of Doom all over that mound, it was probably overkill (pun intended) but I wanted to be sure. I saw a few squirm for life and escape out the little hole to just fall onto the floor dead. But, are there still millions inside the mound alive and plotting revenge? I don't know, I have no plans of removing that mound, I'll ask my male counterparts to help remove the mound. Stay tuned folks...
Wow, that is nasty! Your story makes me want to get a mosquito net too!
ReplyDeleteGood news, I finally got the letters you sent me, dating back to the sweet thank you note you sent after Lizzie Fest. I think you got my note about this earlier, but our official mailing address is now 44 Vernon St. We no longer have the PO Box. Thank you so much for your nice letters and stories about your adventures!
You'll be eating tilapia and pineapple a lot? What other ingredients do you have and how are you cooking them? I want to see if i can invent recipes for you!
Love,
Katie
AHHHHHHHHH!! That was delightfully written and absolutely terrifying. But I'm so glad you were able to take at least some sort of action against them. Even I would have had a hard time being brave against them, and I had a lot practice as the spider killer in the Auntie's house.
ReplyDeleteYour letter is officially in the post as of about 30 minutes ago, so expect it sometime soon.
Miss.love
Lizzie, You have come a long way from the days you used to "freak" if there was a fly in your room and would not go to sleep unless Dad produced the dead body as evidence!! Your package is in the mail. Stacy and the Beadniks peeps all say hi.
ReplyDeleteHi Lizzie, I sure hope by the time U read this you have gotten yor "male counterparts" to take care of your insect mound problem!!! Years ago I had a problem with carpenter ants in my walls.... ewwwww, it was very disgusting, so I can sympathize with U, wonder if there R exterminators in Kenya!!!! LOL, I guess not, well keep up the good work and maybe buy some more Doom!!!!
ReplyDeleteThat's creepy. Termites wont hurt you though at least. They just eat wood and such...not people. But a mound of any amount of insect in my bedroom would freak me out too!
ReplyDeleteUh-oh, Lizzie. You probably "Doomed" a dinner's worth of termites for a bunch of hungry kids. No guilt allowed, though: their dinner didn't belong in your house! Seriously, the first time I saw a termite mound in Kenya, a bunch of kids were crouched in a circle around a spot in the dirt, squealing and laughing hysterically. I thought they were playing marbles, jacks, mumbletypeg or some Kenyan equivalent. Turns out they were grabbing live termites out of the mound and chomping them down, then spitting out the wings. EEEYEW! Thanks anyhow, but I'll stick to ugali and "small feesh." (Have you tried omani yet? They're a little more pungent than fresh tilapia!) I love your Maasai dress -- in Vineyard purple, no less! Wish we could meet somehow, somewhere (even at the Nakumatt), before I return to the island on October 1st, but I am working at the hospital 7 days a week and have no transportation. I'm hoping to come back in December, though, so maybe we can get together then? Hang in there, and good luck with your assignment! We had a wonderful Peace Corps volunteer here in Maseno until "the fracas" (December 2006-April 2007). Her name is Mary Crowley, and she returned, on her own, for six weeks in 2008. Mary made many friends and a big difference in a lot of Kenyan lives. You will, too, Lizzie! Asante...
ReplyDeleteP.S. Don't you get hot under your mosquito net? I once thought I'd take mine home, too, but I can't imagine it any more, given the weather (humidity) reports I've been hearing from friends on the island. Hope the Obamas don't swelter!
ReplyDelete